Friday, July 30, 2010

Week 7

Week 7

This week has been focused mainly on finishing my research project. I am working on quantifying the binding of a single chain version of a monoclonal antibody. Thus far I have had trouble conjugating the single chain and this week I am attempting a new technique.
During my last week I attempted to block the binding of a fluorescently labeled monoclonal J591 antibody with the single chain version of J591. The experiments produced promising results however, they must be modified and repeated to verify that the single chain is binding and thus prevent the fluorescently labeled monoclonal antibody from binding to the cell surface PSMA.
As far as clinical work, I have wrapped up the summer with my physician in the area of urology. During the summer I watched in the office diagnostics as well as surgical procedures. The physician I worked with, Dr. Te, specializes in laser prostate surgeries. In the office he usually determines the extent to which there is blockage from the enlargement of a patients prostate or if the enlargement is related to malignant tumor growth.
I learned quite a bit about the stages and degree to which the enlargement of the prostate affects the quality of life of the patients treated by Dr. Te. In addition to the decisions that the doctor is required to make and the information used to guide those decisions.
After this summer I plan on continuing my work on the project that I was working on over the summer and keep my physician up to date with the information. I also hope to continue to collaborate with Dr. Te on future projects.
-S. Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment