Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Future Uncertain

Immersion term is rapidly coming to a close, but has provided me and my fellow biomedical engineers with much insight on how to reconcile the worlds of clinical practice and cutting-edge research. My experience here has provided a look into the daily routines of all kinds of clinicians and shown me how different their work can be compared to mine, even though the end goal is the same: to develop and advance new medical technologies to improve human health. Probably the most valuable thing I've learned here is how doctors are trained to think. Biomedical engineers are trained to focus in on the details of their work and use that knowledge to make hypothesis about specific outputs. In comparison, doctors are trained to observe multiple more generalized factors simultaneously in order to make effective diagnoses.

I will most likely continue work on my Immersion term project after I leave Manhattan, as most of it can be done remotely. If I am lucky, the work may turn into a publication down the road and will also help keep me connected with physicians at the Weill Cornell Medical College.

No comments:

Post a Comment