Saturday, July 24, 2010

Week 6

This week I was able to observe surgeries and work on my project. I observed surgeries that Dr. Farmer performed and I will be working with Dr. Abjorson and Hani Ghazi on a research project. The research project is with the Biomechanics Department at HSS.

The surgery that called my attention was a lumbar posterior fusion on a 46 years old patient. This surgery was performed because the previous surgery did not fused and the x-ray showed that it was not healing Dr. Farmer took the screws that were loose and the procedure had to used several x-rays to determined if the new screws were placed on the write position.

Also, I was able to work with Dr. Abjerson and Hani. This lab is interested on the development of a new strategy for a better integration of bone-implant interface. This consists in the use of a chemical surface treatment results in a self-assembled monolayer of phosphonate molecules (SAMP). At the same time, I worked a subproject helping determined the best position of infrared cameras to determine the displacement of a spine due to constant load.

No comments:

Post a Comment