Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Week 5 -Yue

Research Project:
I spent most of my week working on my research project. Dr. Gakhar and I have successfully narrowed our prostate cancer cell line candidates from five to two (PC3 and MDA-PCa-2b) since they both highly express E-selectin ligand and exert my favorite “rolling” motion on functionalized E-selectin surfaces, which would allow us to capture them under flow condition. We then optimized the antibody concentration (anti-PSMA and anti-EpCAM) so that once the E-selectin on the surface stops the cancer cells temporarily during the flow and causes them to roll (due to weak adhesion between the ligand-receptor interaction), the antibodies coated on the surface could capture (form firm adhesion with) the cells of interest. I’m very happy to see that the project is moving forward and I hope to finish as much as I can while I’m here.

Surgery:
Bilateral Maxillary Le Fort I Osteotomy, sagittal split osteotomies, anterior mandibular horizontal osteotomy/Genioplasty
On Thursday, I observed a very interesting cosmetic facial surgery performed by Drs. Neugarten and Sachs. Dr. Neugarten’s previous case got delayed so the surgery was pushed to 4pm although originally scheduled at 1pm. While I was waiting, I was introduced to two of the residents that were involved in this case and the circulating nurse, Natalie. The patient had incorrectly positioned jaw, which affects her chewing, function, speech, long-term oral health, and appearance. Prior to the initiation of treatment, she received a thorough examination with facial measurements, photographs, x-rays, and dental impressions. The doctors then personalized the course of treatment for her based on the results of the examination and consultations. Natalie encouraged me to hold the patient’s hand while general anesthesia was given to her, which is supposed to provide some level of comfort for the patient.
Procedures performed:
Maxillary Le Fort I Osteotomy involves separating the maxilla and the palate from the skull above the roots of the upper teeth through an incision inside the upper lip. It is performed to straighten or realign the upper jaw, often to bring the middle of the face forward.
Sagittal Split Osteotomy: back of the jaw is split bilaterally in the region of wisdom teeth, which allows the lower jaw to be pushed back with adequate bone contact for healing.

I look forward to spending next Friday in the ER and making progress on my research project in the coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment